Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bodybuilding versus Powerlifting

The first day you walk into a gym, most people will know what they want to work towards. Either it's training to get stronger or more muscular/"toned" (I hate the word toned). Now a lot people will tell you that strength and muscularity are two separate paths; you have to pick one and stick with only that or you can never succeed in it. Basically, it's a choice between being strong OR muscular.

But the way I see it, why can't you have both?

I don't think there is a professional bodybuilder alive who wouldn't want to be strong as well, and vice versa, I don't think that any powerlifter wants to be questioned if they even lift. Yes to reach the pinnacle, bodybuilders must rely more heavily on volume work and "feeling" the muscles work, but sometimes they have to strap up and pound out a heavy triple on squats. And powerlifters love to live in the 1-5 rep range, but I see nothing wrong with grinding out 3 sets of 15 on curls.

Now I, being an intern and a bodybuilder, naturally take my fair share of good-hearted trash talk from the guys (and Lily) at The Spot, but I still want to be the strongest person in that weight room. My ultimate goal may be to be lean and muscular, but I take pride in strength as well. What's the point of being 250 pounds and 5% bodyfat if you can't deadlift 5 plates?

So, train hard and heavy no matter what the goal is. Different paths require different approaches, but the one thing that never changes is that moving heavy things = progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment