Thursday, November 21, 2013

Controlling the Crowd

When coaching groups, whether it be 10 year olds or adults in a MetCon class, the most important thing that a strength and conditioning coach has to realize is that YOU are in charge, not them.

Admittedly, this is one of my biggest faults as a coach, and I am working on improving myself by learning to project my voice, bring energy to the situation, and have the attitude that "I am here to make you better not to be your friend." It's the easiest thing in the world to tell a group of 20 young girls to squat, but what do you think the probability is that a) they will squat correctly or b) they were actually listening when you told them what to do? You MUST have a commanding presence when speaking and you MUST keep everything a simple as possible. Don't let the group run itself. You must run the group!

So far, during my time at The Spot, we have started training club volleyball teams consisting of groups of up to 12-15 per coach! For the older kids it isn't too much to handle most of the time, but sometimes the younger kids can be a bit more tricky. This is where I, as a coach, have to make my explanations easy to understand and force the athletes to pay attention. If I need benches moved, direct which kids I want to move them rather than just saying "these benches need moved" and having everyone stare aimlessly at me. If they have three stations to work at, make them rotate as groups rather than just wandering around and creating traffic jams at every exercise station.

It isn't hard to control large groups as long as they respect you as their coach and you don't allow them to run rampant and do whatever they want. Just remember that you're the coach. If they don't listen, make them do burpees. If they talk back, make them do burpees. If they are goofing around, make them do burpees. They may think you're mean and a dictator, but it is your job to make them better and you must take that job seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment