Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Little Pep In Your Step- An Intern's Blog

When it comes to everything from your training to trying to control a large group of athletes, time management is crucial. Sometimes you only have a limited amount of time to complete whatever it is that you are trying to do, and being lackadaisical will not only impede on your time but also on your athletes'.

You have to move with a sense of urgency especially when training younger kids as they feed off the energy that you bring. If you show up and are visibly tired and bored, how are 12 year olds supposed to be exited to train with you? On the other hand, if you are encouraging and drive your athletes to push themselves then they will look forward to spending their time with you. If you can make training for an athlete fun (especially younger kids), then it won't feel like such a burden for them, more kids will show up every week, and you get more out of it knowing that you're doing your job.

So why am I preaching about the importance of moving quickly? Probably because I am one of the slowest people in the world.

And it is not because I am lazy; it's just how I am. I have just gotten into bad habits over the years of taking my time to walk places or making sure I get my mandatory 5 minute breather in between sets, and now it has become muscle memory which I am trying to reverse under the watchful eye of JL. If you're like me and like to take your time, try to condense what should be a 2+ hour workout into 60 minutes. You'll get an appreciation for time management real fast.

In general, to get to where you want to be today, you have to keep up with pace. Some people naturally move like their life depends on it, but for us other folk we have to "train" our urgency. The more we train it in the gym, with athletes, or in everyday life, the more it gets instilled in our brain as habit.

Bryce Calvin-Strength and Conditioning Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment